Real Life Stories

I relied on God and my Doctor


I was 30 years old from Nairobi, when diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in 2007, I have been cancer free since March 2015. I have completed  hormone therapy for five years. I made it with help of Dr Rajinder kaur Saggu and my Babaji’s blessings. You will make it too.”

It all started in January of 2007. All was well until my doctor checked my breasts. She found a lump. “Did you ever feel this lump before?” she asked me. “No. Should I be worried?” “No no. I will send you to another place to get it checked out.” I went on with my day, but I was a little worried. Did not think much of what she said. I told my mother about it, and she said no way, it cannot be anything serious. A few times I did feel a bit sore on the side of my breast bone. Again, I did not think anything of it.

Summertime was approaching, and my kids were getting out of school. I made plans to go visit my family in India. I booked my tickets for three weeks. Beforehand, I made sure to get my Ultrasound done. Stepping into the doctor’s office I do not see anyone my age. The nurse calls my name to get an ultrasound and mammogram, and I am in high spirits. “You wait outside, and the doctor will see if we need any more pictures from you.” They called my name back.  The nurses calls me and said. “I need you to come back to get a biopsy.” I asked why?! I told the doctor I already booked tickets to see my family. The doctor  said to cancel my tickets, or to do a biopsy in India. “Doctor, can you at least tell me if it is cancerous or not?!” “No, not until the biopsy.”

My heart sunk. It is a feeling I do not want to have. It was hard to breathe. The room was caving in. I walk over to another lady to make an appointment for the biopsy. “When would you like to make it?   I choked up then started crying. I am in total shock. Booked the biopsy date. I am walking into a dark parking lot, sitting in my car, and called my husband right away. I told him what was wrong, and he tried to console me. He tells me it will be okay. Everything will be alright. What a sweetheart.

Biopsy was done, they confirmed after a couple of days, it is breast cancer. Then I get tests done. Many, many tests. After my consultation with an oncologist, they diagnosed me with stage I breast cancer without a gene mutation. I visited India, and met Dr Rajinder Kaur Saggu, she relieved my anxiety, breast conservation surgery  was done  followed by 6 months of chemotherapy. First A.C. chemo, the next is Taxol. I travelled all the way from Nairobi to india for all my chemo sessions. Then  33 rounds of radiation in June 2007 at Indraprastha apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.

Throughout my breast cancer journey I relied on God and my doctor and kept a positive outlook. That is what helped me the most. How can I worry if my life is in God’s hands? Whatever He has planned for me it is for The Best. I thank God for everything.  I have been cancer free since March 2015. I have hormone therapy  for five years. I made it. You will make it too.